Lark Rise Shawl – finished object Friday

Although I’ve been knitting for years (since ’09 or ’10) I had, until recently, yet to knit one traditional knitter’s project: a shawl. I made this one for my wife’s grandmother, and my lovely wife models it in the photos here. It seemed to knit up quickly considering the size; all the yarn-overs definitely helped.

It’s the Lark Rise Shawl by Sierra Morningstar. This one is made with Tosh Vintage in Flycatcher Blue. I’m not used to blocking large items like this, but I followed the pattern’s recommendations and proceeded carefully (as shown below). I think it turned out nicely.

lark rise blocking

Finished Object Friday: cute booties

IMG_0292

You may notice I’ve shared other finished objects within the last week. I’ve been making up for many Fridays without posts. But now here’s a proper ‘Finished Object Friday’ post!

For these baby booties I slightly adapted pattern #1 from the Cascade 220 book, 60 Quick Baby Knits. That’s “Flower Stitch Booties” by Angela Juergens.

The yarn is the “Brocade” colour in Julie Asselin‘s “Nurtured” line. It’s 100% wool: Rambouillet, Targhee, and Merino. They’re a Canadian company, located in Coaticook, Quebec. So they’re local-ish for me here in Dundas, Ontario — Okay not local, but they are closer most of my other favourites. Full disclosure: I’m now a fan.

IMG_0297

Spring Blue Bird

blue birdHere’s another knit toy. This blue bird was a present for my niece’s first birthday last fall. The pattern is Spring Robin (with different suggested colours, of course) by Sara Elizabeth Kellner.

Henry kid-tested this time to make sure it was good enough for his cousin. He approved 🙂

H with bird 2H with bird 1

striped baby hat in blue and grey

IMG_0486

This hat was made for a coworker’s baby. The pattern is available for free on Ravelry. Here’s the link. It’s somewhat similar to another pattern that I’ve used before — This one in pinkgreen, and pink again — but less-fitted at the top, a bit stretchier there. This one was knit in Tosh Vintage, like many of my recent projects. It’s the same grey used for the octopus and also a new Turn A Square hat for myself.

IMG_0485

 

Small knit toys

bunny smIMG_0532IMG_0537IMG_0542

These are a few small toys I knit last summer for two of my nieces and a nephew. The last photo shows my daughter kid-testing them in advance 🙂

Here are the pattern links:

These three projects helped use up some of my yarn odds and ends. Although I can say the octopus is two colours of Madeline Tosh Vintage. You may notice I tried something different from the pattern for the doll’s hair — more of a rag-doll look I thought. I also used ‘safety eyes’ purchased from the good people at 6060eyes.com, which I believe was recommended in the octopus pattern.

Tim Knits (formerly Knitting Dad)

After a long gap in posting, I’m now catching up on sharing the things I’ve knit since my last post in early 2016. It’s been a busy year with a some big changes for me and my family. Basically, my wife and I have learned to simplify, to slow things down and to refocus on what matters: our family and our health. That has meant making changes to our fast-paced work lives, which with our previous schedules and two young kids now seem unsustainable looking back.

While I was not posting in the last ~16 months, I was still knitting! Finished object posts will be up soon, several over the next few days. As usual, I’ll share photos with a brief description of the project, including links to patterns and materials wherever possible.

You may notice I’ve also updated the site with a new name and a simplified look. Thanks as always for visiting!

Cheers,

Tim

Quick Self-Striping Hat

There are a few projects I’ve finished that have yet to be posted here. And here’s the first of those. My son is 10 months old now, and it was about time I made him another hat. He grew out of the first one in the spring, when he was only 2 or 3 months old.

This time I made up my own pattern and adjusted/corrected it as I went. The yarn is one of the self-striping options in the Liberty Wool line by Classic Elite Yarns. I use a lot of fingering weight yarns, and this is worsted. So it seemed to knit up quickly. The ribbing also makes it nice and stretchy (you can see Henry testing that below). Here are the photos.

Cheers, and happy new year!

 

 

Some pattern details: It’s 3×3 ribbing on US 7 needles. My gauge was 9 sts per 4 cm. When decreasing for the crown, I transitioned (over several rows for each stage) to 2×2 ribbing, then 1×1, with no decreases on alternate rows. I think I could have decreased more sharply a few rows before the end–Notice the top puffs a bit. It almost needs a pompom. I might add that 🙂